Sunday, March 23, 2008

First offer... the highs and the lows...

Well, we were feeling pretty good about ourselves as the first offer was made on our house. Let me set the scene - it was Monday, March 17th -- 5:25 pm. The kids and I were settling down to our pizza bagel dinner (a staple with Frank out of town) and green milk (it was all I could come up with at the last minute for a little st. patty's day "fun"), when our realtor called and asked if a couple could come through for a second look . . . they would be there in about 20 minutes. Well, we had been home from school for a couple of hours and we had managed to ransack most of the rooms in the house - we had already played in (i.e. trashed) the basement, both of the kids bedrooms, the family room, and of course, the kitchen had been pizza bageled. Nathan is usually quite a disaster when anything with a red sauce is involved. Oh, and I should mention that I was already well into my "comfy clothes." I was proud of myself - I told the realtor we could not be out in 20 minutes - we would need more like 30-40 minutes. She agreed and the kids and I ate, cleaned up and packed up in the car with plenty of books to keep us occupied. (It was raining and getting dark - the usual going to the park wasn't going to work this time.) I thought we could drive to a gas station (far away), fill up, and return home to an empty house. By the time we had been driving around for about 10 minutes, the realtor called and said that since I "couldn't be ready on time" the people had stopped for dinner and they wouldn't even get to our house until around 6:45 pm -- ugh! I had to resort to one of my least favorite places - the library - I figured they're open late, gets us out of the rain, out of the car and the kids love running around in there. Ellie wasn't sure that we could go in because I was in my "jammies" -- so we had a little talk about the difference between jammies and comfy clothes - (It wasn't my best look, but hey...)

Long story, but in the end, they liked our house enough to make an offer (a low one!) We countered back and forth a couple of times and we were still $20,000 apart. Neither party was motivated enough to buy or sell. I guess we figure we have enough time at this point to be a little bit choose-y. The appraisers are still coming in to work up the buy-out offer. Maybe after we have that number, we will have a better idea about how low we can go on the sale price. the buy-out offer might be so low that we'll be begging the Fockers (that's what Frank calls them - the husband was a "male nurse") for their low-ball offer. We might not be done with them yet.
There conitunes to be "interest" -- we showed the house every day this week and 5 more times yesterday, so maybe someone else will want it, too.

Frank is going out to look at more houses this week in Omaha - trying to narrow it down for us to make a decision when we go out for spring break - ahhh, break! Seems so far away, still...
Probably won't update until we get back from our Omaha-gone-wild vacation -- (Tuesday, 4/1), but it should be a good one - complete with a play by play and plenty of pictures!

No comments: