Tuesday, June 17, 2008

New World Van Lines have arrived!

I write this post from the comfort (?) of my deck, mostly because I don't know where else to be... the kids are off at Nana's house for a sleepover and the house is basically all packed up and being loaded onto the truck. There is nowhere for me to sit inside, no TV's to turn on and no snacks in the pantry (it really is true what they say, "if you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it...") They are on to something with that -- for the last two days, I have eaten meals only and you know what? I am still alive! :)

I am really glad that we have movers and packers to do all of this - there are three of them and it is going really fast! The whole house only took them 2 days (not even) to pack up - it literally would have taken me months to do what they have done so far. I guess it helps that they have all of the right supplies - they don't have to scrounge around for boxes and stuff, but still - looking at all of the boxes (ellie calls the living room "boxland" and the family room "box-e-donia"), I wonder how long it will take to get them all unpacked - ok, knowing us, not that long, but there are a TON of them. They also said that our house was going fast because it is so "organized" -- HA! I would hate to see a disorganized house, that's for sure...

The kids are reacting really well to all of this chaos - I thought they would be freaked out that their rooms were being disassembled and all of their toys boxed up, but so far, they seem completely entertained. Nathan is obsessed with the "big truck" that pulls up every morning and ellie likes to monitor progress (especially in her room). The movers also have a small dog that hangs out in the truck all day (weird) and that also provides endless entertainment for the kids. (And it also adds to the begging for a pet that has recently started)

Meanwhile, Frank spent his first night in the oma-house last night. No furniture, but he claims that it was still better than apartment living. He had an air mattress, so that's good. He spent his evening finishing the shelf paper in the kitchen and bathrooms (yes!), filling holes in the wall and starting to tape to get ready to paint. He's a productivity maniac! Knowing him, it will all be done before we get there -- which I guess is not long from now... I guess it's time (time to hook up the TiVo and get some more snacks!)

I don't know if I'll be back on again before we arrive in the wild west. The next few days are fairly loaded!


No comments: