Monday, July 14, 2008

Princess Camp, Day One (...and the new TV)


Ellie has been waiting for this day for a long time - thank goodness it finally arrived. She was up early this morning, packing her backpack full of all of the princess camp necessities: tap shoes (still...why??), ballet shoes, etc. etc.
She had so many questions - "what will we do first?" "do we have to check in when we get there?" "What will my teacher's name be?" "What color will her eyebrows be?" OK, I was with her until that last one...
We left the house in plenty of time (becuase I am still not confident with where everything is around here...even though it's not tough, and also because I continue to overestimate the amount of time it will take to get anywhere ... not nearly as long as you think it's going to...).
We got to the dance studio and it was quite obvious who was there for Princess Camp -- although, one girl was wearing plain clothes... the horror! (I guess her mom didn't call ahead of time... I bet she'll be fully outfitted by tomorrow...tap shoes and all!) Well, everything was going well until I went to leave -- Ellie freaked out - crying, clinging and all of that good stuff. "don't go" "I've never been here before" "Don't leave me here" "I dont' want to stay here" "I want to go home" For a kid that's been dropped off at daycare everyday for the last four years (and loved it) and for as excited as she was about "ballerina class" - it really kind of surprised me. (I guess four weeks of being with no one but me sort of ruined any kind of independence she had...) I convinced her to stay and I watched from the behind the two-way mirror (must be a dance studio thing...) She was (of course) fine within five minutes of me leaving and by the time I picked her up, she was gushing about all of the fun that was had -- they did "acrobats", crafts, snacks, dancing, and "rocking out" (is that different than dancing??). Anyways, she had a great time and she can't wait to go back tomorrow... thank goodness, call me a cynic - but as she's holding on to me for dear life at drop-off, part of me is thinking -- "uh-uh - we bought tap shoes for crying out loud... you are going to at least try this!"
The most ironic thing, perhaps was that I had to practically restrain nathan from breaking into the dance class room -- between trying to get ellie to stay and getting nathan to stay out, it was kind of a stressful 20 minutes or so... Nathan wanted so bad to be at "belly class" (that's ballet class in nathan-speak) -- maybe someday... after we try soccer or baseball or something... :)
In other (more exciting, frank would argue) news is we finally did it -- bit the bullet and bought one of those fancy-schmancy-big-ass-tv's. It's been a long time coming - frank has been talking about it for years (literally) and we said when we got to omaha, we would probably have a room big enough to accomodate one, and we do, so we did. It's pretty nice - better picture qualtiy and all that (which is important when you watch shows like the bachelorette like me...) :) We went to our new favorite store for home furnishings -- the Nebraska Furniture Mart. We like it there (and they are probably starting to like us there, too!) They just make it so darn easy to buy things -- I guess that's part of their winninng formula. I knew that if we went to look at TV's, we would end up buying one (Frank pretended that he "didn't think we'd buy one today..."). So, we loaded up the 46-inch sony something or other -- it was a tight squeeze to get it in the back of the Pilot (Frank offered to leave the kids at the mart if he could get the tv in...) We made it fit and then drove home. Frank drove more cautiously than I have ever seen him drive before -- he likened it to driving home from the hospital with you first child.... really? It was cute to see him so excited -- he spent the day setting up the tv, which involved altering (i.e. "sawing apart" the built in cabinet in our family room -- it was touch and go for a while, but it's all good now. We stayed up all night watching stuff in HD (ok, not really - but we did spend a couple of hours finding all of the cool features -- found some "scene it" type trivia games, so we played those - weird, but fun...)
More later - gotta go watch TV! :)

No comments: