Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We met our Omaha Pediatrician

Thanks to Nathan (and we all knew it would be Nathan, right?), we got our reason to find a new pediatrician...fast. Yesterday, we spent the morning running errands and playing outside. When we came in for lunch, I noticed that Nathan had a few (what I thought were) bug bites on his left arm. No big deal - he was rolling around in the grass and crawling around the garage, so I figured he just got into something buggy... By the end of lunch, his whole arm was covered with "bites" and it had spread to his back and sides. Before naptime, it had spread to his legs and face. And it didn't look like bug bites anymore - it looked like a red, sometimes bumpy awful rash. Of course, he did not seem fazed by his new condition at all. He seemed a little annoyed that I kept looking at him, but... We called a pediatrician's office that I had scoped out (luckily, all of ellie's preschool registration forms require the name of her doctor, so I had done some preliminary research...) and they were able to see us yesterday afternoon. Nathan slept his usual 2 hours at naptime and when he got up, he looked just as awful and was acting just as normal - weird. So, we went to see the new doctor (which Ellie was SO excited about - after all, it wasn't her visit...). The doctor walked in and instantly diagnosed it as hives. Sounds like something that I maybe should have recognized, but I have never seen anything like it in my life. It was a simple Benadryl fix (again, something I should have probably known...) and they were gone within a couple of hours. I was impressed with the office overall - I think it was a good pick "on the fly." The doctor asked me to call back in two days because she wanted to know how he was doing - I thought that was nice. In EGV, our pediatrician would always be like, "call us back if he's not better in a week." (And I really liked our doctor in Elk Grove, they just seemed more "don't call us unless something's wrong.") So, that was our adventure for yesterday -- leave it to Nathan to be the first one to need a doctor here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm a complete stranger to you, but I came across your blog while searching the internet for a new pediatrician. My name is Sarah. I live up in Blair, NE (about 20 miles north of Omaha) and have 2 boys-- 3 years and 18 months. So, I was wondering if you'd share your ped's name and if you've had any more experience with them and if you'd still recommend them. =)

Melissa, Frank, Ellie and Nathan said...

The office we went to was Children's Physicians (lots of locations around Omaha). The doctor we saw was Dr. Rizal. We haven't had to go back since the hive incident, but the office made a great first impression!